Friday, April 1, 2011

YouTube Friday: Where I Stood

Ann was raised in a small town in Arizona. There she learned to love to sing and play the piano. While talking with her, it was evident how much she loves to perform and sing for others. She blames her parents jokingly that they got her into this. To Ann, it’s not about the applause she receives at the end of the show, but its goes way deeper than that. She loves performing and stretching herself to reach and go places she has never gone before. Even with Ann’s busy schedule, she sat down with me one on one to answer a few questions about her career so far.




AMezNewz: So, how long have you been playing the Piano?
Ann: I had six months of lessons when I was eleven, and after that I taught myself.

AMezNewz: When did you first play the Piano in front of an audience?
Ann: When I was thirteen. It was such a disaster! I froze up and my fingers wouldn’t do what I wanted them to. It took me a while to try it again and to have the courage to perform in front of an audience.

AMezNewz: When did you start singing?
Ann: Oh gosh, before I can really recall. I did talent shows with my sister, and parents, as well as family gatherings.

AMezNewz: You’ve been in quite a few musicals—which was your favorite so far to perform in?
Ann: Yes. I’ve been in State Fair, Guys and Dolls, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, 1940’s Radio Hour, Hairspray, and The Scarlet Pimpernel—which will be start in the summer. As for my favorite I’d have to say Guys and Dolls. I really love the music in that musical.

AMezNewz: You’ve done so many fun shows, why did you decide to enter a local American Idol competition, which you won by the way?
Ann: Its fun! I also wanted to stretch myself to see if I could sing and play at the same time. And honestly, it's amazing what you can do if you stick your neck out there, practice, prepare and pray.

If you have never seen Ann in one of her plays, you really should! She has a quiet way of demanding your attention, but you gladly give it to her. She takes command on the stage, and leaves you wanting to see more. Stay tuned for details on her next play The Scarlet Pimpernel. Who knows, maybe we’ll have a little contest and give out tickets?

Check out Ann's winning performance below.



4 comments:

Chism said...

I really enjoyed Ann's performance in 1940's Radio Hour!

Diane said...

nice article! You brought out some interesting things about Ann that I didn't know. She is very talented and so is the AmezNews Interviewer!
Diane

Ann said...

Amy, you are so sweet to include this on your page! I'll always remember the card you made me when I was about to audition for my first community play. I was soooo scared, but you made me feel like I could do anything. You're the best!

AMezNewz said...

Thanks Diane! It was good to see you last week! You always crack me up!

Ann, I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for giving me the green light! You are very talented! I'll always be your number one fan!